Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Six Weeks in Fes: Week 3-Tuesday

I'm tired of trying to count by days (25 left, by the way! Still feels like I just got here.)

Apparently the garbage collectors have gone on strike. From what I've heard, they haven't been paid in a month. Garbage is everywhere now, and it smells FANTASTIC. Walking home from Bab Boujalad last night, I saw shopkeeper's kids trying to get the garbage out of the way of their shops. Unfortunately, there isn't any place to put it except on the sidewalks and in front of other shops. The weathers back up to 100 degrees after a brief, incredibly pleasant, dip into the 80's.

Two good quotes from ALIF students about the garbage situation: "It looks like a scene from the apocalypse" and "If I had to collect garbage on donkeys in this heat, I'd go on strike too"

No comments:

Post a Comment