Monday, July 18, 2011

Six Weeks in Fes: Week 5 - Monday

Hard to believe I'll be home two weeks from today. At the same time, it definitely feels like I've been here way more than a month.

Asilah was beautiful this weekend. Looked a lot like towns in Bermuda but still felt 'Moroccan' and the beahces were beautiful. Even the second day when we went to the crowded public beach it still felt relaxing and peaceful. Ameena said going to London this weekend and being in a Western society made her feel homesick. Asilah is a bit more European (I had a Heineken with dinner) but it didn't make me feel that way at all.

Speaking of dinner, I tried octopus for the first time. I didn't know I had ordered it. It came on my paella. It was delicious.

Lastly, and sadly, Fes has gotten a LOT more hostile for the female students at ALIF. I'm not sure why, but    starting last week, complaints of verbal and physical harassment have gone way up. I've noticed a small difference my self. It certainly doesn't compare to what happened to some of my female friends, but I have had a lot more difficulty getting a taxi since last weekend. All this started right after the weekend where the U.S. and French embassies in Syria were stormed after 'inflamitory' comments by Hillary Clinton and the U.S. halted hundreds of millions of dollars of aid to Pakistan. (I don't know what she said exactly. CNN.com is REALLY slow here) I'm wondering if the two events are at all connected to what were seeing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment